Lighthouse

In 1851 a lighthouse was built on the Little Samphire Island, located a few hundred meters west of Fenit pier. A large bronze sculpture of Saint Brendan was erected in 2004 on Great Samphire Island, the rock around which the harbour was built.

This island has been utilised as part of the port development and its name ‘Great Samphire Island’ appears to refer to the height when compared to its much flatter twin, Little Samphire Island. (“Samphire” is a small flowering plant used in cookery and lends its name to the twin islands in the bay.)

Location
Samphire Island, a small island a few hundred metres west of Fenit Pier.
Photo by Poshey Aherne Photography